Library Media Center > Stay-At-Home Things to Do!
Sheltering in Place * Social Distancing * Hunkering Down
Whatever you call it, we are all stuck at home with most things closed. But the good news is, there are more and more new FREE things coming online that you can use to make this strange time more bearable.
Cool Online Experiences
Willems is the current Education Artist in Residence at the Kennedy Center. He says his livestream will virtually invite “learners of all ages” into his studio and encourage them to draw and write with him.
Willems is encouraging students to send him questions at LUNCHDOODLES@kennedy-center.org and he’ll try to answer some of the questions in his videos. “I know a lot of you guys are not in school. You’re at home right now, because of all the things that are going on. Well guess what? I’m at home, too,” he said in a video press release. “We’re gonna hang out together. Matter of fact, I’m really looking forward to it.”
- Monterey Bay Aquarium https://www.montereybayaquarium.org/animals-and-exhibits/live-web-cams
- Georgia Aquarium https://www.georgiaaquarium.org/webcam/ocean-voyager/
- National Aquarium Virtual Tour http://samuraivirtualtours.com/example/nadc/index.html
- Virtual Tour of the Seattle Aquarium
ACTIVITIES AND RESOURCES
- Take a Virtual Field Trip Lesson Plan
- Aquarium Field Trip Worksheet Freebie
- Research your favorite sea animal and make a presentation.
- Watch Finding Nemo or Finding Dory. Identify the types of sea creatures in the movie.
- Watch Disneynature’s Oceans
- San Diego Zoo https://kids.sandiegozoo.org/videos
- Zoo Atlanta Panda Cam https://youtu.be/_6wbfVWVk8Q
- Smithsonian’s National Zoo https://nationalzoo.si.edu/webcams
- Reid Park Zoo Lion Cam in Tuscon, AZ http://reidparkzoo.org/cameras/lion-cam/
- Ouwehand Park Polar Bear Cubs Rhenen, Netherland https://explore.org/livecams/polar-bears/polar-bear-ouwehand-twin-cubs-cam-2
ZOO ACTIVITIES AND RESOURCES
Visit some of the best art galleries in the world virtually. From Paris to New York to Amsterdam, see priceless works of art from the world’s most famous artists.
- Louvre Museum, Paris https://www.louvre.fr/en/visites-en-ligne
- National Gallery of Art, Washington DC https://artsandculture.google.com/partner/national-gallery-of-art-washington-dc?hl=en
- Metropolitan Museum of Art https://artsandculture.google.com/partner/the-metropolitan-museum-of-art
- Van Gogh Museum, Amsterdam https://artsandculture.google.com/partner/van-gogh-museum?hl=en
- Uffizi Gallery, Florence Italy https://artsandculture.google.com/partner/uffizi-gallery?hl=en
ART MUSEUM ACTIVITIES AND RESOURCES
- Choose a favorite painting or sculpture and create a copycat piece of art.
- Research an artist and choose you own way to present what you've learned.
- Choose a piece of art to focus on. Describe it, tell why you chose it and how it makes you feel.
- Choose 2 works of art to compare.